• What do we want to achieve?
• How will we open the negotiation?
• How might they respond?
• What will their reaction actually mean?
• What is the appropriate behaviour and strategy to adopt?
• What is our long-term business strategy and what is theirs?
• Where is the balance of power?
• How much do they need us?
• How much do we need them?
• What is the least I think they will accept? (note: if we are the buying party)
• What is the most I think they will pay? (note: if we are the selling party)
• What are their objectives and how are they rewarded?
• What do they want to achieve?
• What is their best alternative?
• What is our best alternative?
• Who has the greater time pressure/urgency, us or them?
• What are likely to be the main trading variables?
• Which are most important to us?
• What are the most important to them?
• What might they add to them?
• What further information do we need?
• Where can we get that information?
• What information, if any, do we want to share with the other party before we begin to negotiate?
Quick request from me ….. if you think this post would be helpful to others please do share it on LinkedIn via the share box below.
PS: If I can help your team negotiate more profitable agreements please do get in touch on 01476 516282 or email at email@example.com
PPS: Don’t forget to download your free 19 page report ‘How to stop your team negotiating money away’ by clicking here