Essential Negotiation Skills Training Course
Duration: Two Days “In house” or as an open public course
*LEARNING THROUGH PRACTICE
*TAILORED TO YOUR INDUSTRY
Typical delegate profile: Someone in either a buying or selling role who is currently negotiating with suppliers, customers, sub contactors or committees and not maximising the trading relationship and business opportunities.
- This is my flagship negotiation training workshop and is a true ‘roll your sleeves up’ session packed with case studies and facilitated practice sessions.
- There’s a large emphasis on ‘learning by doing’ with facilitated exercises using handouts, flipcharts, learning discussions and minimal Powerpoint!
- Using a number of industry based case studies delegates learn how to become skilled negotiators. They practice a range of behavioral skills by haggling over a finite sum, then successfully valuing and trading variables, and finally dealing with more complex, collaborative partnership negotiations.
- They alternate between a ‘seller’ role and a ‘buyer’ role, to help them understand both perspectives better.
Specifically delegates will learn:
- The good habits, individual rights and behaviours of the skilled negotiator.
- The huge importance of preparation….. both of their own position and the other party’s.
- How to trade concessions (or variables) firmly, conditionally and profitably.
- The four different roles in negotiation. These are all practiced on the course.
- How to get not just any deal but the best deal available yet still protect the ongoing trading relationship.
- How to keep track of the money! Negotiation is not about winning or losing, but about where the money is!
- How to avoid deadlock.
- How to successfully manage stress in a negotiation and become ‘comfortable feeling uncomfortable’.
- Two of the individual negotiations are recorded for live group feedback so that all delegates can observe their own negotiation style, strengths and development areas, and that of others. This is the bit where they normally squirm with embarrassment but afterwards tell me was one of the most useful course elements.
Ten of the key negotiation principles we practice on this Essential Negotiation Skills course are shown in this two minute video.
What others have said about this workshop:
“The negotiation course is probably the best course I’ve attended, really useful and good content”
“A great course – thanks Gary!”
“Gary, the course was brilliant. You are a fountain of negotiation knowledge! Many thanks!”
“Your course has definitely helped me. Well worth attending.”
“After attending a two day negotiation training workshop I would highly recommend the service and tuition of Gary. Gary’s training techniques were highly informative and functional which has given me some truly valuable skills, useful not only within my workplace, but in day to day life as well, something very rare when attending training workshops.”
“It was one of the best courses I remember.”
“Overall out of 10 I give this workshop a 10! One of the best courses I have been on.”
“Had a lot of impact (positive) on me – perhaps the most I’ve ever experienced, so thanks!”